Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Socks? oh yeah, I've been meaning to make some of those...

Hello fellow summer sockers!! I would like to thank Taryn the Temptress for inviting me to get involved here. Yes, that's my new name for her - first it was importing all that Lorna's Lace, now it's dragging me away from all the unfinished whatnots in my WIP basket to get onto socks...
But like many I have been meaning to do some socks for a long long time now. My first pair of socks were made back in (hmm, do I have enough fingers to count back on...) 1996 and I haven't made any since (however I have started and frogged socks twice since then). I'm about to move house and consequently my commute will change from 1/2 hour ferry to 15 minute train, and I have been fantasizing about socks as my new commute knitting - they'll be more suitable for the shorter and bumpier ride. The move is happening in January, so the weather will be goading me in the sock direction as well, I'm sure. So thanks for the motivation, impetus, kick up the seat of the pants - sock world, here I come!
I'm not sure what yarn or pattern I'll use but I would like to give this toe-up business a try, and why not throw in a Turkish Cast On while I'm at it? I have been obsessed with the various patterns involving leaves lately (Kiri shawl, Backyard Leaves scarf) so Amelia's Elfine Socks do take my fancy. On the other hand, I have been coveting the lace knee-high socks from Interweave Knits (Winter 2004) for many months, since I saw this picture of them. I will give the yarn question some further consideration during a trip to Melbourne this weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Bear said...

my work here is done ;)
i love the IK ones, nice pattern. i'm all into patterned socks at the moment.
nice to have you here!

5:08 pm  
Blogger Rachael Elswyk said...

I've been pimping the KAL a bit....

7:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home